A spectacular journey comprising with unsurpassed views of heritage-listed rainforest and waterfalls such as Stoney Creek Falls (above) and the Barron Gorge. The Kuranda Scenic Railway winds its way through 15 tunnels and over 37 bridges from Cairns to Kuranda. Just 10 minutes from its departure point in Cairns, the train stops at Freshwater Connection in Barron Valley.
Freshwater Connection heritage complex honours the great engineering feat of the Kuranda Scenic Railway and the human spirit of the 1500 men who built it during the 1890’s. It comprises a museum, pioneer cottage, restaurant featuring antique rail carriages, gift shop, and function rooms.
After passing by the spectacular Stoney Creek Falls and through Stoney Creek Station, the train stops for 10 minutes at Barron Gorge for passengers to enjoy breathtaking views from the lookout.
Travel hints & tips
- Comfortable walking shoes for exploring the Village
- Hat, sunscreen and sunglasses for sightseeing at Barron Falls
- Insect repellent if you intend to experience one of the many rainforest walks
- Motion sickness tablets if you usually suffer when travelling in vehicles and onboard trains
- Video or still camera to capture your memorable day